Saturday, January 26, 2013

How to Replace Flour with Corn Starch

If you are gluten-free or trying to be, not being able to have flour can mess with your head. It is going to be ok, love! You can replace flour with corn starch :) It doesn't work perfectly for all recipes, but I use this stuff for EVERYTHING!!!



Here are some things you can do with corn starch:

GRAVY:
Mix corn starch with your favorite broth and make gravy! I make mine by putting some corn starch and milk in a jar. To mix, just shake the jar. This makes your gravy NOT LUMPY!!! I add pepper too. Then slowly pour the milk/corn starch mixture into the lightly boiling broth of your choice and stir with a whisk until it reaches your desired thickness.

SOUPS:
I love me some creamy soups! Celiacs can not have creamy soups because the thickness is from flour. You can not eat mushroom soup, potato soup, cream of chicken soup, cream of anything soups. It's ok! I now make my OWN soups using broth, fresh ingredients and corn starch as a thickener.

BREADING:
My favorite breading recipe is corn starch, eggs, basil, fresh chopped garlic and salt and cayan pepper. Mix these ingredients together with water until it is just creamy and thick. Dip your meats in this and bake in the oven or fry in a pan in olive oil. DELISH and the starch makes a light and fluffy breading.

Try it, you'll like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment