Friday, August 13, 2010

Ladies: The PERFECT daily vitamin, and it might surprise you!

Alright, so as all of my friends and family know, I have been on a big health kick for a little over two years now. I diet and work out pretty hard (other than my Coldstone Creamery - All Lovin' No Oven indulgence last night - that we won't talk about: hey, a girl's gotta have some chocolate and cookie dough every now and then!) and my husband and I had also been trying to conceive our second child for the last two years. So naturally, I started taking prenatal vitamins after about a year of not conceiving.

Anywho - Man, I just realized how much I love to ramble...But no, seriously I started to notice a difference in my health after taking the vitamins for about a month. My hair, skin and nails were so much glowier and prettier! My face even started looking kinda cute without my concealer (can't believe I just said that - but it's true) and so I decided to do some research on WHY that is and share it with all of you:

First of all, make sure you're taking the prenatals that contain DHA and Fish Oil. Here's why:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DHA is without a doubt the most important of the omega-3 fatty acids, because it has been shown to be effective in the prevention and treatment of so many physical ailments.  This fatty acid has shown results in the prevention of cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer’s, and it also inhibits the growth of carcinoma cells in colon, prostate, and breast cancer.
It is also effective for the treatment of allergies, arthritis, asthma, type II diabetes, inflammatory bowel disease, and help to build a strong immune system.  These are all things that anyone could benefit from, but the reason that it is suggested that your baby would benefit from the use of prenatal DHA rich fish oil supplements is DHA’s role in cognitive development and brain and visual function.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so obviously I googled all of that, but it's much better explained that way than me trying to give a second-hand account! 

We are no longer trying to conceive, but I'm not going to stop taking the vitamins. A month ago I ran out (I buy them in huge bottles of 300 and so I had my last bottle forEVVVER) and kept forgetting to get more when we went to the grocery. I didn't take them for like 3 weeks. I could notice! My nails actually got more fragile and brittle, hair wasn't as shiny, and I felt a little sluggish. Started taking them again and about a week later I felt and looked GREAT again! :)

So ladies, take your vitamins. Even if you don't take prenatals, I highly recommend taking a DHA pill and/or also the Fish Oil pills. 

Don't like the taste of them? DRINK THEM WITH LEMONADE!! It seriously works. Some ladies have reported being able to taste the fish oil pills and burp them up (so gross) for hours after taking them. Drink them with lemonade or suck on a lemon and that won't happen. PROMISE! Taking them at night helps too :)

I'm done rambling for the night. These are starting to get longer than I actually expect people to read. Goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. TIP from a friend: Don't like lemonade? FREEZE the fish oil pills!!! It takes the fishy taste out of them and it really does work. Thanks Heather! :)

    ReplyDelete